7 Abilities of the LinchpinJune 12, 2010 by: Shari
From Linchpin by Seth Godin
Linchpins do two things for organizations. They exert emotional labor and they make a map. These contributions take many forms. Here is one way to think about the list of what makes you –the Linchpin — indispensable.
How to be indispensable
1. Providing a unique interface between members of the organization.
2. Delivering unique creativity.
3. Managing a situation or organization of great complexity.
4. Leading customers.
5. Inspiring staff.
6. Providing deep domain knowledge.
7. Possessing a unique talent.
In great organizations, there’s a sense of mission. The tribe is racking up accomplishments, going somewhere. This is not an accident; linchpins lead and connect people in the organization. This takes emotional labor and is not done by following instructions in a manual.